Fisheries Activities in Theni District
The following fisheries activities are implemented in Theni District under the control of Assistant Director of Fisheries, Theni.
1. Fish seed rearing at Vaigai fish seed farm and Manjalar fish seed farm .
2. Fish seed stocking and exploitation in Vaigai Dam and Manjalar Dam.
3. Sale of fish seeds to the fish farmers and public at Government rate and offering free technical guidance to the fish farmers.
4. Lease of Intensive Inland Fish Culture Tanks in Theni District by Tender system.
5. Implementation of fishermen welfare schemes through Fisherman Cooperative Societies.
6. Supply of fishing equipments to the fishermen at subsidized cost.
“Fish culture in Village Tanks” is promoted under the scheme. During 2006-07 and 2007-08, 39 & 26 small tanks respectively were selected in 23 & 24 Villages and technical guidance has been given to stock fish seeds in these water bodies for fish culture. The selected SHG beneficiaries will be given technical training in fish culture.
Proposals are being submitted for fisheries development under ATMA and IAMWARM Schemes. Besides, it has been proposed to take up Reservoir fishery in Shanmuga Nadhi Reservoir.
Presented by Theni Times